Friday, May 16, 2008

The Host

Well, at the risk of exposing myself as the vapid reader of brain candy that I am, I have to say that I LOVED Stephenie Meyer's latest offering. I haven't cried over a book like that since ALERT ALERT HARRY POTTER SPOILER ALERT Albus died.

"The Host" isn't nearly as girly as the Twilight series, but the romance is still gripping. But it's all the other questions the premise raises that really pulled me in. The premise? It can sound so silly, but it works; stay with me, here: It's, well, it's basically Pod People. But WAY AWESOMER. Aliens known as "souls" come to earth and take humans as their new hosts. Sometimes the former human soul gives way or gets lost in the process. Occasionally the incumbent soul is strong enough to stick around and annoy the crap out of its captor.

Meyer likes to describe it as the first love triangle involving only two bodies. I think that reduces it to insipidity (if it wasn't a word before, it is now). It's way more interesting than love triangle. Again, for me it was all the surrounding issues that really got me.

Plus, it got me REALLY excited for "Breaking Dawn." I have hope for Jacob yet! Spleee!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your hope for Jacob doesn't die, but I was sure I saw the last of him in the last book. But yeah, that feeling's gone. I'm sure someone's going to do something about his trying to run off and be wolfy man forever.

ALSO: THE HOST OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG. I read what she had so far on her website MONTHS ago but haven't gotten around to buying it. I think I might do it tomorrow.

:D!!!