Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Oniony Goodness!

Okay, so we're trying Russian foods this month... wait, have I blogged International Nights yet? Crap, I don't have time right now, so I'll catch you up on that tomorrow. I just wanted to share this YUM recipe we tried out tonight. Next time you cook any sort of meat whatsoever, try this "sauce" with it. From the cookbook "Please to the Table" by Anya von Bremzen and John Welchman, I give you Onion and Honey Sauce (Lukoviy Vzvar):

1/4 C vegetable oil
3 large Bermuda (yellow) onions, quartered and thinly sliced
3/4 C beef broth
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 Tbsp honey
4 tsp cider vinegar

1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute, stirring occasionally, until colored and soft, about 20 minutes.

2. Add the broth, increase the heat to high, and cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 7 minutes. [Amy's note - didn't take that long.]

3. Stir in the mustard, honey, and vinegar, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for another 10 minutes [again, didn't need that long]. Serve warm but not hot.

SO YUMMY!!!!!

0 comments: