Sunday, June 04, 2006

Sunday

I'm going to stop buying Nesquik. I can't believe I've been doing it for so long. It causes nothing but misery. Misery misery misery. Do you hear me, Nestle Company? Your product is evil! EVIL!

I've lost two containers of Chocolate powder to kids' curiosity, but today was the topper. As far as Matt could tell from the evidence, this time the chocolate powder got spilled, then they tried to clean it with wipies, then somebody got under the kitchen sink and discovered our years' supply of Dawn Liquid Detergent and thought that might help somehow. I'm almost sorry Matt got it cleaned up before I could see it in all its gooey glory. As it is, the kitchen floor has this weird... soft feeling to it. Madge! They soaked in it!

Anyway...

Ben gave his first Primary talk today! The theme was "I Will Be Blessed as I Obey the Ten Commandments." So last week I printed up a kid-friendly version of the commandments to go over with Ben. Then we sat down to write his talk together, question and answer style. Then I, thinking I was brilliant, suggested he pick one of the commandments to tell a story about, to illustrate how it blesses us. "Which one would you like to tell a story about, Ben?"

"THAT one," he said, pointing to number two. You know, No Graven Images. "You sure??" "Oh yeah, that one for sure."

I couldn't think of a thing (yes, I've remembered the golden calf story like a jillion times SINCE then), but he plunged on anyway. Today he gave his talk, and did so brilliantly. Didn't want any help, didn't balk at the performance aspect (which I was pretty sure we'd come up against), and did a beautiful job. So here's what he had to say about it:

I Will Be Blessed as I Obey the Ten Commandments


   Heavenly Father gave us the Ten Commandments. Commandments are like rules that help us to be happy. Heavenly Father and Jesus want us to be happy.
   One of the commandments says we should not worship idols. That means not to think that Jesus is in a stone or statue. If you think that Jesus is in a statue, that is not right. Jesus is in Heaven. Idols can't answer our prayers, they can't make us happy, and they can't bless us like Jesus can.
   Jesus answers our prayers and blesses us and makes us happy.
   I will be blessed to be happy when I follow ALL of the commandments.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


Original, if nothing else. :)

Hope your Sunday has been equally.... uh, interesting.

0 comments: