Monday, August 08, 2005

Weekend Notes

First of all, I wish to announce I FINALLY was able to surprise Matt for our anniversary! I've never really pulled off any kind of surprise, though I've tried many times. But, thanks to the generosity and collaboration of his sisters, I was able to make it look like we'd be out for a few hours on Saturday, when in fact we were staying overnight at a B&B in South Pasadena. (Yes, that means we checked out on the Sabbath, and had a fantastic breakfast on Fast Sunday. I promise we'll wear hair shirts or something to appease the grossly offended.)(Well, I would promise, but I'd be lying.)

For our anniversary, we went to the Gamble House which is an amazing work of Arts & Crafts architecture, and was a fascinating tour. It also happens to be the house that served as the exterior for Doc Brown's house in the first Back to the Future movie. It also happens to be the first piece of architecture ever to bring me to tears. I'd explain, but it would take forever and make me sound like a driveling idiot. Just trust that it's a REALLY great house, and well worth the seeing.

We dined at Firefly Bistro, which was also just a wonderful experience. Beautiful place, great chefs, amazing food. Ten stars, seriously. It's like the kind of fine dining I imagine rich people frequenting in New York or Beverly Hills, except it's in the middle of a nice, cool little neighborhood and any Joe Schmoe would be perfectly at ease there. I'd know; I'm Jolene Schmoe.

The B&B was The Artists' Inn, which I also highly recommend to anyone needing a quick getaway. Nice quiet friendly neighborhood, walking distance to all shopping and eating. The Metro Gold Line is seriously a five minute walk from the place, and the Metro will take you to pretty much every cool thing in the L.A. area. A really nice British couple runs the place, and the wife makes the most fantastic breakfast EVER. Vegetable Strata today, straight out of heaven's kitchen.

In other news, apparently Amanda and Christina are returning home tomorrow after their week's stay with us. Strictly AMA, I might add, by which I mean: Agianst My Adamantlydemandingtheystayherehforevertobemypersonalslavemonkeys. I can't express how grateful I've been for all their help this week. What neat girls! They've been fun to have this week.

And then out of nowhere I get sustained as Stake Music Chair today (although, I couldn't help but notice I wasn't also released from my ward callings....). I tried to remind President Harper that that sort of calling is usually reserved for grown-ups, but he has such a nice face, and a gun the Spirit and all. So I ended up saying yes, much to my surprise. I've got some big shoes to fill, though - I can't tell you how many people have described our last Stake Music Chair as Totally Irreplacable (which she is). Thank goodness I've got her phone number out in Texas!

Also, my kids are still totally freaking cute. And that's your weekend update. Good night, all!

2 comments:

Woody said...

Heh. The family disease has overtaken. Congrats (and/or condolences) on your new calling. The Simi Stake will be well blessed. You didn't say so, but I'm assuming you get to keep the standing choir standing? I certainly hope so, and will pledge to come support your Christmas concert if you do. Or, maybe it would be more helpful to keep my nose out of it...

Anyway, have fun with the calling!

AnoelleB said...

Hmmm... accept the excellent reading tenor's offer or send him away..... choices, choices.

Derrrrrrrrr.

It's not as if you even had a choice, really. Mom's still the heart and soul of the stake music program, and therefore retains all Child Cursing powers related thereto.

See you in December, if not sooner!