Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Wow, Are We Tired.

It's not a question. Just pure fact. We are TIRED.

So on Tuesday the movers came and took away the majority of our Stuff. And to keep the kids out of the way, Mommy took them to go paint the town... I dunno, fluorescent green. We went out to breakfast at Denny's (this is one Mommy and THREE boys, mind you. You can pin my medal on me next time you see me.), then to the fancy new Simi mall to hang at the play area for a bit and then we grabbed some candy and stared at the giant Christmas tree for a while, took a picture with Santa (which will be scanned as soon as our scanner is unpacked), then went to the bookstore then blah blah blah I was out forever with the kids which is exhausting in itself. Matt, meanwhile, supervised our movers and made sure the right stuff got packed/ignored. Then we went to check into our hotel!

I had reservations at our local Extended Stay here in Simi. Reservations. And they didn't have a single room available for us, so they comped us a night over at their Northridge site. So over the hill we go to discover that at Northridge we've been split up over two rooms on two separate floors. AND some idiot tried cooking at 2:00 a.m., burned whatever it was, then brilliantly opened his or her door so that all the smoke could travel through the hotel, setting off every smoke detector in every room.

Now, I was sharing a room with Joseph. He may be a sideways sleeper, but he doesn't take up all that much room, really, and the shrieking of the smoke detector didn't even phase him. I woke him up to go make sure we were safe, but he went back to sleep pretty quickly afterwards, and slept in like a champ. I was so hopped up on adrenaline and confusion that I was up for another 2 and a half hours.

Matt, on the other hand, had Ben and Josh. All in one queen-size bed. Made for shoddy sleep even without the 2 a.m. wake-up call, and Matt eventually wound up across the foot of the bed. And Josh, our future seminary teacher, was bright-eyed and bushy tailed at 6:30 on the dot, as usual. Little stinker. Because when Joshua's awake, nobody else sleeps.

So we've all been just CHARMING today, the great unwashed Burr family of zombies. Tonight shows signs of being a considerable improvement. We've got toiletries and our room in Simi with TWO beds in it and the boys had a bath today (Daddy and Mommy are next!) and I've secretly gone room to room and disabled all cooking equipment in the entire hotel. Or maybe I didn't. But I DID go to the grocery store so that tomorrow we can have breakfast here in the hotel room instead of trying to choke down more fast food. Oh my golly, does that get old fast!

Sale- and Move-wise, we're still set to leave Saturday, although it looks like Escrow will now be closing Monday or Tuesday. Mom called today to report snowfall in McKinney (the Weather Channel had an overlong report today on the Winter Storm in Dallas). The snow isn't sticking or anything, just giving people more to tease us about. It's funny how that works... when it was warm in Simi, all people could think to say about Texas was how miserably hot hot hot it is there. Now it's chilly in Simi, and we get a lot of "Texas? Buy a coat!"

So! Tomorrow we finish figuring out how to cram the remaining Stuff into our car for The Trip, and Friday we finish our goodbyes and whatever else needs to be done at the house, then Hooray the trip begins in earnest!

This has been your update. Good night!

0 comments: