On workdays, I usually come home for lunch, and today was no exception. Amy was working on the computer when I got home, so I went into the office to chat with her for a bit. A few moments later, Joshua walked in carrying a head of garlic that he had taken from the kitchen counter. It's not uncommon for Josh to push a chair up to the counter and search for snacks - a banana, an apple, a...um...head of garlic.
So, he brought us this head of garlic, asking for someone to peel it. When it comes to teaching children things that they shouldn't do, there are some things I'm willing to let them try, with the understanding that they will likely learn a lesson very quickly and more effectively than if I were to simply say, "no." This was one of those cases.
I picked off a clove and set the rest aside. I peeled it, with Josh excitedly awaiting his treat. Once peeled, I handed to him, and as he walked out of the office he took a bite. Much to my surprise, he claimed to enjoy it; I suspect that this was more a matter of "saving face" than actual enjoyment. "Mmmm...yummy. This is good," and so on. I think he only took the one bite, and dumped the rest on the floor.
Amy IM'ed me later in the afternoon to congratulate me on my "good trick" and to tell me how Josh was coming up close to her to talk to her, wafting odors of garlic with every breath. Thank goodness I wasn't home this afternoon. :) Sorry, Amy. At least we know he won't be getting bitten by a vampire anytime soon.
0 comments:
Post a Comment