Friday, November 07, 2008

Joyful Reunion at Wal-Mart

I got to see Gene today!! She still works at Wal-Mart! Hooraaaaayy!

For those who don't know my Crazy Guy at Wal-Mart story, you can read it here. A couple of details to add now that some time has passed: This happened in May 2005, the day after Memorial Day. Memorial Day is one of the busiest shopping days Wal-Mart has outside of the Christmas season. The day after, the day we were there with a crazy guy, the store was nearly empty, thank goodness. Something else to bear in mind is the boys' ages at the time. I was shopping with a 5YO, 3YO, and 18-month-old.

Another detail I left out of the original post was the conversation I had with Gene's daughter in her car. I was telling her how wonderful her mother is, how grateful I was for her help. Her daughter said she was grateful that I had been there for her mother to help, knowing that her mother was the kind of person who would feel so much more comfortable in the service of others, especially in a situation like that.

I think about Gene pretty often. I felt bad when we moved to Texas and I never tracked her down to let her know or say goodbye. She's been worried about us. She said she had just prayed for us last night. I had just been thinking about her myself, as Ben had heard just a couple days ago that the school he's attending now had gone into lockdown the day of that shooting.

Ben remembers it, but not with any trauma that we can see. I'm still so grateful for Gene and for Dan; I believe they both made the difference there.

It's not often that I leave Wal-Mart with eyes moist from happiness.

1 comments:

woodnotes02 said...

That day is branded on my memory -- I'll never forget it; not the incident, nor how grateful I was that you all were kept safe when you were right on the other side of the wall from the Crazy. I'm so glad you met up with Gene again -- I love her too and I've never even met her.

I wouldn't worry about the temple doors. Not only are they extremely strong but there are guardians watching over them whom we never see. It's a comfort, and makes up for the sick feeling you get when you see the demonstrations. We drove home through the beginning of SLC's 8 is Hate demonstration. We were glad to be snug inside because we're only 1 block away from all the hoopla. I don't know why they picked the area around temple square -- they won't change any Mormon minds, and the tourists have all gone home. Oh well ...