Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Long Night

Man! It's been awhile since we shared a room with the boys, and guess what: they've grown. Time was, we could easily share a room; Joseph would hang out in our bed, and Ben and Josh would share the other, but when Joseph falls asleep before everyone else, it kind of throws a wrench in the works. You don't want to move him and wake him up, so you're stuck working around where he's fallen to sleep: diagonally across one of the beds.

I ended up sharing a bed with Josh and Joseph. Josh (who also fell asleep earlier than the rest of us) was on one side, Joseph on the other, and I was shoved into the 10 centimeter space in the middle. It LOOKED bigger than that, but I think that's just part of the same transdimensional magic that children use to make remote controls and socks (always, just before you have to go somewhere) disappear.

After an hour or two in The Js Fly Trap, I moved to the end of the bed and tried to sleep crosswise, but guess what: I'm too long for that. Initially, my head was dangling out over one edge of the bed, but I didn't realize this until I grabbed a pillow to give my head some support and discovered that the pillow was hanging over the edge of the bed. So, then I shifted downward - er - crossward? - and had my legs hanging over the edge. Finally, I adopted Joseph's typical modus operandi and positioned myself diagonally. Thankfully, there was enough blanket to cover myself.

This worked for a little while, but eventually it was just to much (hard feet in soft places are very convincing). So, I pushed Joseph into the center (at whatever AM, with hardly any sleep after a very long day, you don't care about waking a kid anymore). That's another thing; why is it - HOW is it - that kids always know the perfect night to wake you up, that night after a long day when all you want to do is sleep and you've snuggled into bed and are hard at sleep, and then the kid decides to puke, and you're called on to marshal all of your mental faculties at 3 AM to clean up the mess, comfort the kid, and plan for the next wave, while trying to determine what could have made that color? I digress.

I pushed Joseph to the center of the bed, and took my usual spot when he sleeps in our bed: the six inches on one of the edge of the bed. THIS I'm used to, and I was able to get some measure of rest (six inches).

I woke up at 7 AM, feeling like (what I imagine) an old man feels like. Sore, tired, my muscles and legs barely moving, I crept out of bed, hunched over, to try and determine when check out time is, so I know how long I have to stretch out and try to recuperate from last night. Hey! Check out is noon. I have an extra hour.

Anyway, Amy's going to see if the next couple of hotels have trundle beds or cots. I hope so.

1 comments:

shahna said...

Oh Amy it sounds like you are off to a rough start. Just tell yourself it can only get better from here. We miss you guys so much. I hope things are going well for you otherwise....hugs and kisses.