Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Cheeseburger

This is Cheeseburger.



And this is Cheeseburger's story. Cheeseburger and his siblings were guests at dinner tonight. Cheeseburger, in particular, was Joseph's special guest. Joseph gave Cheeseburger a cute little strawberry hat to wear (there it is in Cheeseburger's picture).

All was going well, and everyone was happy. Then, in an act of indescribable mayhem and horror, Cheeseburger's siblings were maimed and devoured, and none - save Cheeseburger alone - came out of it alive; Cheeseburger himself suffered serious - but not life-threatening - injuries.

To be fair, we did not know that Cheeseburger's siblings were sentient. We didn't even know that Cheeseburger was until Mommy asked Joseph to throw Cheeseburger away. Joseph stood over the trash can, head bowed glumly, holding Cheeseburger just inside the rim, and began to sob. Mommy tried to discover what the matter was, and Joseph - barely able to utter an intelligible sentence over his sobbing - explained, "I will miss him!"

I was enlisted to try and smooth things over. Cheeseburger was removed from the trash can and placed on top of the trash can while Joseph came to speak with me.

He cuddled up next to me, big crocodile tears, his head in my shoulder, still sobbing. I asked him was was wrong, and he explained again that he would miss Cheeseburger.

"Is the cheeseburger your friend?"

*sniff* "Yeah!" *sob*

"Do you and the cheeseburger have a lot of fun together?"

"Yeah!" *sniff*

"You play games together?"

"Yeah."

"What's his name?"

A moment's thought, and then Joseph replied, "his name is Cheeseburger." Of course.

At this point, I was not sure quite how to proceed, so I figured I'd try to buy time; maybe he'll forget about Cheeseburger by morning.

"Okay, well, let's not worry about Cheeseburger right now. Why don't you just come relax here with me?"

"Okay." Joseph went back to the trash can, grabbed Cheeseburger and put him on the counter. "This is his home," he explained.

"Yes, of course, that can be Cheeseburger's home for now."

Joseph returned to me, and declared, "I love Cheeseburger."

What am I to do? I put Joseph to bed, read him a story, told him I was off to write a story about Cheeseburger, and came back downstairs to begin writing this. A moment later, down came Joseph, "did you read Cheeseburger a story?"

"No," I said, "but look, I took Cheeseburger's picture. See!" Joseph saw it, and was happy, and has gone back to bed. And now you've seen it, too. That is Cheeseburger: a sorry, maimed, piece of burger and bun, wearing a little strawberry hat, sitting on our kitchen counter (his home), awaiting the return of his only friend, Joseph.

5 comments:

Mrs. Woody said...

What are you gonna do if you wake up tomorrow morning and find that Cheese burger and his fry friends have been partying in your kitchen all night long? Just wond'rin'.

;o) Too cute.

Anonymous said...

I hope that Joseph never discovers that Cheeseburger's name used to be Daisy, and that he really misses the field he used to live in.

Grandma Z

Woody said...

It could have been worse. It could have been one of Uncle Cam's infamous In-n-Out burgers.

Anonymous said...

I had to look up what sentient. I'm smarter now. But, all I can really say is, "Moo!" Uh, 'Uncle' Deb. P.S. I still love all my angels. :)

Anonymous said...

You handled that so well! Tell me though, how long will Cheesburger be allowed to live on the kitchen counter? Or will he have to have his own town with friends? You know, this could get out of hand --you might HAVE to get a DOG or something to take care of Mr. Cheeseburger and his friends or there might have to be a Cheeseburger camp that Mr. Cheeseburger wants to go to while Joseph is napping...good luck my dear. I think he's trying to tell you he's lonely for a playmate!
Love ya!
GW