We're homeschooling beginning this fall!
There are a thousand answers to the question "Why?" I think one of my favorites is that I want more control over the time I have with my kids. I can teach them the same amount of material - and more - in less time than it takes for public school teachers to try to get across to 30 squirrely kids. I HATE trying to cram all of our family time into a couple of hours in the afternoon, in between scouts and homework and music practice. There are awesome things happening in the world at 10 in the morning, meteor showers at 2 in the morning that I want them to see and then sleep in after, vacations that are best taken in mid-September.
I've debated homeschooling the boys for so many years. This is the first time it's felt possible, and the first time the excitement hasn't been overwhelmed by dread.
I have a ton of awesome resources and supports. I have what I call "My Cindys," Cindy Wood and Cindy Darley who are shining paragons of homeschooling AWESOMENESS. Both have homeschooled from day one with their kids (Cindy D has NINE KIDS, y'all), each in totally different ways that I will borrow liberally from. I have my mother-in-law Trish, who's homeschooled on and off for so long that she has quite the arsenal of information and materials. I have my friend Karrilynn who homeschooled a bit and saved everything and has already started giving me books. And of course I have my awesome husband, who honestly thinks I can do this, bless his blinded-by-love heart! :) And is eager to help. And who will totally be Captain Computer Lab. You have no idea how badly he wants to teach these kids programming.
So that's our big announcement. We've been working on it for quite a while now, but we told the kids this weekend (since the school has started sending home the forms asking where the kids will be attending the following year. "Burrhaz Academy," by the way), so the cat's out of the bag. We were nervous, mostly so about Ben, who tends to deeply mourn any change in his life. So we told him first, separately. He thinks it's awesome. Then we told the J's together. Joshua's super excited and - this will shock you - full of ideas. Joseph grabbed a marker and headed straight for daddy's whiteboard wall.
I think we're off to a good start.
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Big Announcement
Posted by AnoelleB at 1:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That's fantastic news. You'll be great at it. I feel very good about this! Love you! Ma
I've home-schooled a family in Moorpark for the past couple of years and it is very easy for the boys, and they also enjoyed being home more. When they get to high school though, it can get more complex, but not a problem if you're organized. My only concern is socialization because the ones I tutored have NO social outlets or time with larger groups (and didn't care to), and it shows in their demeanor and how they speak to others. It's been 2-3 years for them, going on 4. As long as the boys keep having regular social interaction outside of home, I'm all for it :) You probably have that at church anyways. You'll be a RAD teacher Amy!
YAY YAY YAAAAAAY!!!!
Gamma
Fabulous news, Sis! We of course are very excited for you. Good thing there's no intramural sporting events between family academies. ;-) Cheers to you guys!
Amy you are awesome:) way to go jumping out there and doing what u feel is best for ur boys! I love to read about successful homschooling famlies:) hope u can keep us updated:)
Post a Comment