Okay, I had to ask Mike last night how it is that Brazilian people are all so freaking beautiful. Their food is simple and convenient to cook and riddled with bad-for-you-ness. Hello table cream. I love you.
Mike says it's because the men are all manual laborers working their tushies off all day, and the women spend all their money on looking good. Living in a hut is an acceptable trade-off. I'll, uh, do more research.
Anyway, are you familiar with No-Bake Cookies? It's a stove-top recipe for chocolatey goodness that has now been replaced in my universe by Brigadeiros as the go-to quick sugar fix recipe. Ohhhhhhhh, Brigadeiros. I may never forgive Mike for introducing these to me.
Brigadeiros are Brazilian candies, somewhere between a caramel and a fudge-ball. Think melt-in-your-mouth chocolate-flavored caramel. No, wait, I'll think that. You just sit there for a minute while I do.
(Found this image on some Brazilian blog. Mine weren't around long enough to photograph.)
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Sorry - still there? Alright then, your patience is rewarded with the EASIEST candy recipe you will ever know.
Take:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp butter
2-3 Tbsp cocoa powder (or any chocolatey powder, like Nesquik, etc.)
Put those in a pot and boil and stir till it's... gloopy. Soft-ball stage for you candy-makers out there. All the Brazilian recipes say helpful things like "until you can see the bottom of the pan." Anyway, make it a couple times and you'll find your right consistency. It doesn't take long, so don't leave the pot, and don't stop stirring.
Pour onto a plate and let it cool off a bit. While still warm, but cool enough for you to handle, shmear your hands in butter, pinch off a chunk of candy goop, and roll into a ball about an inch in diameter. Now roll that ball in chocolate sprinkles. Ben had a blast helping me with the ball-rolling part. Joseph even made one.
And then we ate them all.
Anyhoo, that's it. You can't have a Brazilian party without Brigadeiros. I don't think I can have a week without Brigadeiros now. I'll certainly be SAYING it daily. Seriously, say it. Roll the R, if you can. Flip it if you can't. "Brrrigadeiros!"
Yum.
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Nuther Brazilian Recipe
Posted by AnoelleB at 10:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh man, now I'm gonna push Weight Watchers back another week :) Thanks for the recipe :D
You were SUCH a sweet baby! How did you turn into such a wicked, unregenerate adult?! I gained another 5 lbs just reading your blog, and I had been to a dinner party at work with Mexican food and Horchata and a delicious dessert, and come home home full of resolve that now we would begin the diet. How sharper than a serpent's tooth, etc. etc.
Post a Comment