Sunday, October 28, 2007

I Read the Scriptures...

Today was the annual Primary program in our ward. Over the last year, the children have been learning songs and focusing on the Primary theme for the year, and it all culminates with this Sacrament Meeting program. It's been difficult in our ward, because the overlap between wards in our building has meant that the children have had to do most of their rehearsing in the Primary room, instead of in the chapel, but they did have a rehearsal yesterday morning.

Anyway, that's not what I really want to talk about. What I want to talk about is our boys' roles in the program. They each had a line. Joseph took the cake though. He came up with his line by himself, "I read the scriptures with my family." Now, I wish this were true. We have instituted family scripture study in the past, but it is very difficult with three squirrelly little boys. Evidently, our past efforts left an impression on Joseph, or he is trying to tell us something.

What was great, though, was how he said it. Unlike all of the other children, who - it seemed - got up to the microphone and in their diminutive, meek little voices read their lines, Joseph stood at that microphone, double-checked with his teacher that he had the line, and then thrusting his mouth at the microphone to - practically - engulf it, said loudly and boldly:

I READ THE SCRIPTURES!!! WITH MY FAMILYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

It was great! It's what everyone hopes for in a Primary program. I mean sure, the sweetly singing little voices are angelic and wonderful, but we all know that lurking between that cherubic exterior are wild little creatures, and we trust them to show forth their wonderful light, so vital and full of energy. It warms my heart when I see children being...well...being children. They have a lifetime of reverence and duty ahead of them, so it's wonderful sometimes to see them just being kids.

Anyway, it was a wonderful program; I could feel the Spirit throughout, burning like a pilot light in my heart. Children are such a wonderful blessing (I write this as Joseph says, like a 20's-era gangster, "you think that's funny," while standing at the foot of the stairs, naked from the waist down, holding his shorts in one hand). I love their frankness, and straightforwardness. They bring such joy. I only hope that someday I can be so brutally honest and pure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your boys are so entertaining! I think that is why I like them. I like the phrase, "burning like a pilot light". Very well put. Continue having a great Sabbath! The Uncle Debby

Anonymous said...

THere are just tooooo many identities to remember, so now I'm with Debby...anonymous.
I can truely appreciate your Primary Sunday program. Ours brought a few tears to my eyes too. Some of them because of the Spirit, and some trying to hold back the laughter and be an example of reverence. I'll tell you the funnies later. I think the most endearing one is our little boy in the ward who is a very low level functioning autistic boy. He struggles so hard each Sunday through opening exercises and class and has been such a trooper through the many hourse of practice. It was worrisome that when he got up to give his line no one would be able to understand his speech. But when it came time, the Spirit came through that little voice as clear as a bell and his little words, "I love my family" were clear, complete and resounded in every heart in the chapel. The whole program stopped for a minute as each face was still, every eye filled and mouths dropped open. It was a true miracle. His speech has since returned to its normal garbled, uninteligible sounds. But for that moment, he was calm, and the Spirit spoke through that three year old child. I don't think anything has touched the hearts of so many in one place for such a long time. It still makes me a little teary eyed and shakey. If anyone ever dares to try and tell me there is no evidence of God, I'll share that story and ask them to explain it with reason. 'scuse gamma's wanderings
love, to all in tx.
xx oo