Sunday, August 26, 2007

The End of Summer

Yesterday, we took dad to the airport, ending a great month of August, when both of my parents visited. It was wonderful to have them out, to show them Texas, and to spend time with them.

Mom got some great shots, which I've posted at Flickr, while she visited. We took her to Rudy's (great BBQ joint), downtown McKinney (and lunch at Spoons), the temple grounds, Double Dip Frozen Custard, and spent a lot of time hanging around at home, because she had the misfortune of visiting during - perhaps - the hottest week of the summer ("I swear Mom! It's been much milder the rest of the summer!").

The weather cooled off quite a bit while Dad was here. We still spent a lot of time hanging out at home, catching him up on some of the latest action flicks, but we did make it out to the original Sonny Bryan's (which I've been wanting to visit for some time now - well worth the trip into - er - beautiful north Dallas), and a few other eateries, culminating with dinner at El Fenix.

We all had a great time, and were sad when the visits were over. As we drove Dad to the airport on Saturday, I couldn't help but feel somewhat melancholy. The sun has been moving to the South and the mid-morning light is starting to pick up that golden glow that I associate with autumn. Only the night before, we'd taken Ben and Joshua to "Meet the Teacher" night at school, heralding the new school year, which starts on Monday. We're all done with vacations and visits for the summer, and I'm back to work on Monday, as well. I suddenly realized that summer is over, and I felt a little saddened by the notion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was disturbed to find your old site gone and thought I had lost you forever. I loved the pics, and I sure loved seeing your parents. August was a great month. Wish I had my own slip 'n slide.

grandma z

Anonymous said...

Of course, you'll tell us all about the boys first day of school. And, I loved those pictures! I had dessert with some nieces tonight, who may get to sleep - eventually. Aunt, or Uncle, Debby . . . whichever you prefer.

Anonymous said...

Uh, btw, Matt lies!! I lived with you guys for three weeks in July and the weather was never "mild!" Are you insane? Wait, don't answer that: you willingly moved to Texas, so that answers that question! ha ha!
Tiece