Saturday, April 29, 2006

Crazy Times Last Night!

And we got it on camera! We saw a lightning flash or two on our way home from our date - pretty enough, but nothing to write home about. But then I took the babysitter home, and the flashes got more and more frequent. By the time I was alone in the car on my way home, it was coming like popcorn. It was far away to the northwest, so it was more interesting than frightening. I dragged Matt away from his blogging to come watch it. He went and grabbed Ben (who was still on a caffiene buzz from the liter or so of Diet Coke he got to drink while we were out), and we all watched together. We checked the Severe Weather website, and sure enough Denton County - the next one west of us - was under a tornado warning. We were merely under tornado watch. No biggie there.

Next was to grab the camera. I took a little video hoping to capture more than I did. I think I'll post it anyway, because you do get to see about two seconds of the kind of lightning that was happening near-constantly (except when I was recording, of course). And Ben says "This is exciting" in the sort of awed whisper that will delight Grammas galore. Then Matt grabbed the tripod and began playing with B-stops, and got some COOL shots. Click for larger versions.

Around two in the morning, that same kind of lightning came right on top of us. Less interesting, more frightening. It was happening so rapidly that there was one clap of thunder for maybe every ten flashes of lightning. One clap nearly shook the house. But our Severe Weather status hadn't changed, so I went back to bed.

Enjoy the pics!











0 comments: