When we first moved to Simi from Orange County, Ben was about 2, and Unca Mike was a dancing fiend. He would grab Ben and "help" him Rave (like a puppeteer helps a marionette). Ben would be hysterical laughing while his body twisted and grooved. I would be laughing, too. It was his favorite game: "C'mon Ben! Let's Rave!"
Since then, Ben has developed his Reticence Gene and it's a major one. Although he dances and sings nearly constantly on his own, just try and ask him to show it to anybody. I've at least gotten him to the point where he'll say "Maybe later," instead of running from the room in a hysterical freak-out.
Then yesterday, as his teacher helped him into the car after school, she told me he had gotten a special award in Music Class that he needed to show me. I was excited, but not terribly surprised. This kid's going to be a great musician one day. When we got home, he showed me the award: "Ben did a great job dancing in music!" Followed by little happy face. I was totally unprepared for that one. What this award means is that Ben not only danced on demand, but did so willingly, and well enough to have garnered himself special attention. AWESOME!
I chalk it up to his early training. Thanks, Unca Mike!
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Unca Mike's Partying Days Pay Off
Posted by AnoelleB at 7:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment