Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Vision of the Future - or - I Feel Ya, Man.

6:30 AM! Saturday morning. I'm first out of bed, and go to awake our boys for our 7AM cleaning assignment at the church.

I'm in Joseph's room. He's still asleep, cute, cuddled up under his comforter, surrounded by stuffed animals and toys, mouth open, eyes shut, little gusts of wind with each breath.

I nudge him, I jostle him, I whisper at him, I rub his head. "Joseph, it's time to get up. We've got to go clean the church." His eyes half open. He's confused. It makes no sense. What in the WORLD am I doing trying to wake him up at this hour and talking nonsense about cleaning the church?

"I thought we were going to garden," he replies (which we are, later).

"Yes, but first we're going to go clean the church." He shuts his eyes again, he rolls over, away from me, facing the wall.

"Just... five... more... minutes," he groans, and he's back to sleep.

3 comments:

trumpet girl said...

Kirsten said the same thing to me a couple of weeks ago. All I could think was "early morning seminary, here we come!"

Woody said...

Huh. Such subtleties are lost on children of certain gene pools. Dad's solution was to march into the room and announce, "Gitcher butt outta bed!"

There was no snooze button on Dad.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are not your dad. I'd much rather be awaken YOUR way. For us, it's the dogs running across our bed pretending to chase each other -- all the while thinking, "yeah, this'll get 'em up...heh, heh, heh." Ahhh....just to sleep in ONE morning would be grand! See ya soon.
Love,
Ma